Tips to Keep Your Life Simple
Simple living is a journey that requires daily steps in order to keep making progress and improving your quality of life. There are hundreds of ways in which you can keep your life simple. It is important to start your journey by taking one step at a time and keep moving forward.
- Make a list of your priorities and commitments. This goes without saying. Without a goal there is nothing more than an aimless wandering through the forest of life.
- Simplify tasks. Streamline the way you do everything from the time you wake up and when you go to bed. Set a timer to see how fast you can complete a task if you seem to become distracted easily.
- Reduce the amount of time you spend on email, social media (i.e. facebook), television and other media innovations. Don’t check your email every 15 minutes. Don’t zone out in front of the television for hours after you get home from work. Designate times for those activities including only watching your favorite television shows and not just whatever happens to be on.
- Declutter. Go from room to room and look at it from a new perspective. Declutter the excess and anything you don’t love or use on a daily or weekly basis. That old vase or chair that Aunt Edna gave you needs to go if you don’t love it. Give it to someone who would appreciate it or give it a makeover to fit your tastes if you love the base and shape. You know you are done decluttering when you look at each room and think how much you love it and not about how cluttered it is.
- Create a mantra or motto. Corporations and small businesses alike establish a mission statement in order to keep themselves focused on their journey and ultimate goal. You can do the same.
- Find time alone. You need at least 10-15 minutes every day to regroup and reconnect with your spirit. This is essential time needed to quiet your mind.
- Create a routine. This may seem boring to creative types but knowing what needs to be accomplished on a daily basis and performing the same tasks in the morning, afternoon and night can help create a peaceful feeling of knowing what to expect and to ensure that things get done.
- Find free activities to enjoy. Don’t rely on expensive vacations to renew your life. Go for nature walks, visit museums and look for local activities that relate to your interests.
- Learn to say no. Make more time in your day by saying no and halting the merry-go-round of overscheduling.
Utilizing even a few of these steps can help to simplify your life and start you on the journey to live your life on purpose.